Friday, February 19, 2010

Don't Worry It's Sourdough Bread


For Valentines Day my husband and I went to a cute little dinner theatre. We had tickets for brunch and the the play "Cats". Well, I immediately was skeptical about whether or not the employees would know exactly what g-free is. When I tell people it's in everything, I'm not exaggerating. It can be in lunch meat, cheese, sauces, etc. I decided to be on the safe side and eat before I went to the show. When I have the choice to, or I am able to, I would rather be safe than sorry and eat at home or somewhere that guarantees their food to be g-free.

While we were there and enjoying my hot tea, I overheard the waitress talking to the table next to us. As soon as I hear someone say "Is there gluten in that?" my ears quickly go up like a dog hearing someone at the door. So, I began to ignore my husband and listen to this conversation. The woman wanted to order the eggs benedict but didn't want the bread because she is allergic to wheat. To my absolute surprise the waitress said "Don't worry, they put it on sourdough bread, not wheat bread". At that point, I was so glad that my husband took me to one of my favorite g-free restaurants in Eugene before the play. (I will write a different blog post about g-free restaurants.)

This is a great example of how people don't understand exactly what gluten is or what it is in. I don't blame people for not understanding. I never understood what it was until I had to understand what it was. If people don't know someone that can't eat gluten then they have no reason to understand what it is. My annoyance kicks in only when I am at a food establishment and they are clueless. I feel as though you should be knowledgeable about the food you are serving. Just like I am knowledgeable about the curriculum I am teaching my students. It's your job!


3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA!!! Dumb people. That is a funny story about the waitress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with Graham Crackers! "I'm sure they're made with graham flour, not wheat".
    I've also had problems with french fries. I'll ask if they are dipped in flour before frying or have batter and the reaction is always a snotty, "They're french fries, of course not". Then they bring them to the table and they have a coating on them! I'm going to start telling them I will DIE if I have wheat flour so they better make sure! :)
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete