Sunday, February 21, 2010

G-Free In Eugene


When I found out that I had to eat gluten free I was not a very happy girl and I thought that life would down right suck. Well, I was wrong, it is completely doable and enjoyable. I quickly came to realize that the nurse at my doctor's office was right when she told me that Eugene was the best place to be for a g-free diet!

This weekend my husband and I found 2 new local g-free restaurants that we had not been to before. On Saturday night we went to a restaurant that is new to town, Cafe 440. It is in a great location, on Coburg Road, near the Oakway Center. They don't have a strictly gluten free menu but the servers are knowledgeable! They are planning on developing a separate menu for the g-free population. The waiter we had recommended the bacon wrapped pork with mashed potatoes topped with a marionberry wine sauce, so that is what I got, and I loved it! I think next time I go I will try the salmon with risotto. As you can see, eating gluten free is not always bland and boring!

After church, on Sunday, we met friends at Studio One Cafe near the UofO Campus. As you walk in the front "door" you walk through beads and I figured that any place that has beads for a door has got to understand what gluten is! Again, they did not have a strictly g-free menu but the servers were very knowledgeable! I had the "Beverly Hillbilly" scramble with a mimosa!

http://cafe440eugene.com
http://studioonecafe.com


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a delicious breakfast! I'm glad you are finding more g-free restaurants all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,
    Have you heard about "Holy Donuts" here in Eugene? They make some GF donuts. Not that donuts are healthy, but if you're ever craving a donut.. :)

    http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/sevendays/24432267-35/doughnuts-nunley-doughnut-shop-holy.csp


    Rebecca, WSFC

    ReplyDelete